60 Seismic Design Ideas and Tips
by James Malley, S.E.
October 31, 2023; 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM Pacific TimeSmall Business System Requirements FAQ Register
This presentation will provide a rapid-fire series of ideas for engineers to consider in the implementation of seismic designs of new steel buildings. The ideas include the following:
ICC Preferred Provider Course Number: 37447
- Thoughts on proper implementation of the seismic design philosophy behind AISC 341
- Discussion of various system options and applications
- Concepts for innovative design strategies and proper system configurations
- Recommendations for addressing commonly faced detailing issues
- Calculation tools and methods for various design topics
- Discussion of applications for steel materials and welding processes
- Identification of various helpful resources The ideas will provide numerous potential ideas that can be implemented on your next steel design project!
James O. Malley, S.E., is a Senior Principal and the COO of Degenkolb Engineers. He received both his Bachelors and Masters Degrees from the University of California at Berkeley. Mr. Malley has over 39 years of experience in the seismic design, evaluation and rehabilitation of building structures. He was responsible for the analytical and testing investigations performed as part of the SAC Steel Project in response to the Northridge earthquake damage. In 2000, AISC presented Mr. Malley its’ Special Achievement Award. Mr. Malley is Chair of the AISC Specifications Committee and the Past-Chair of the AISC Seismic Subcommittee. He was named the 2010 T.R. Higgins Lectureship Award winner for his work on the AISC Seismic Provisions, and in 2012 was given presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award by AISC. Mr. Malley is also a member of the AWS Subcommittee on Seismic Welding Issues. Mr. Malley was also one of the authors of the PEER Tall Buildings Institute “Guidelines for the Performance-Based Seismic Design of Tall Buildings” and is involved in the peer review of numerous tall building projects in areas of high seismic risk. Jim has served as a member of the SEAONC and SEAOC Board of Directors, and was President of SEAONC in 2000-2001 and SEAOC in 2003-2004. He was named a SEAOC Fellow in 2007 and an Honorary Member of SEAONC in 2014. He also was a member of the Board of Directors of NCSEA, serving as President in 2010-2011. Mr. Malley also served as a member of the Board of Directors of EERI and was President of the Applied Technology Council Board of Directors in 2020. He was also elected the National Academy of Engineering in 2021 for his contributions to seismic design.
|1 Connection||2 Connections||3 Connections||4 Connections||5 Connections||> 5 Connections|
|SMALL BUSINESS A FEE (MAX 2 CONNECTIONS ALLOWED)|
|Early Registration Discounted Fee* ($10 discount)||$85||$180|
|SMALL BUSINESS B FEE (MAX 2 CONNECTIONS ALLOWED)|
|Early Registration Discounted Fee* ($10 discount)||$120||$250|
|* Registration on or before October 29, 2023|
Please note a single registration allows you to have one connection. However, a number of people can view and listen to the seminar using one connection by using an LCD projector (or a large computer monitor) and good computer speakers or a speaker phone.
All attendees, irrespective of the number of registered connections, can earn 0.15 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or 1.5 professional development hours (PDHs). CEU/PDH certificates are provided free of charge.
- A connection is defined as a single web connection plus a single telephone connection (if necessary). If you want to sign up for more than one connection for this seminar, you will have the opportunity to do so after placing the seminar in your cart.
- A $15 fee will apply if the seminar registrant wishes to revise the web seminar registration (e.g. switch from one web seminar to another).
- Refunds are limited to 80 percent of fee and must be applied for in writing WITHIN THIRTY DAYS after the scheduled seminar.
- We are a registered provider for continuing education in the State of Florida (Provider # 4732), the State of New York (Provider # 99), the State of New Jersey (Provider # 24GP00014200), the State of Maryland, and for the Structural Engineers Certification Board (SECB) of the National Council of Structural Engineers Associations (NCSEA).