Part 1 - Fundamentals of Retaining Wall Structural Design
by Bruce Erickson, S.E., P.E.
PART 1: June 29, 2023; 11:00 AM - 1:30 PM Pacific Time
PART 2: July 6, 2023; 11:00 AM - 1:30 PM Pacific TimeRegister for PART 1 Register for PART 2
Small Business System Requirements FAQ
ICC Preferred Provider Course Number: 25193
Seminar DescriptionPart 1 will cover structural design fundamentals for a variety of retaining wall types. It will address fill walls, such as cast-in-place concrete cantilevered walls and mechanically stabilized earth walls; and cut walls, such as soldier pile walls and soil nail walls. It will address both IBC and AASHTO design methodologies, and will cover the basics of wall seismic design. It will also present guidelines for selecting the optimal retaining wall type from the available systems.
Part 2 will focus on cast-in-place concrete cantilevered wall design, and will go into greater detail than Part 1. It will go through examples of design calculations, step-by-step, for both IBC and AASHTO methodologies. The examples will discuss the different assumptions and design criteria that can be used in retaining wall design, and how those different assumptions and criteria can impact the final design. It will also address design elements such as fall protection, vehicle barriers, soil backfill specifications and wall drainage.
Bruce is a Washington State licensed structural engineer at KPFF Consulting Engineers in Seattle. He has 35 years of experience, with much of it devoted to design of soil retaining structures, including walls, tunnels, excavation shoring and underground transit stations. In the last 10 years he has designed over 10 miles of retaining walls of all types, including concrete cantilevered walls, mechanically stabilized earth walls, cast-in-place concrete gravity walls, gravity block walls, soldier pile walls, soil nail walls, sheet pile walls, secant pile walls and slurry walls. He has a BSCE from Northwestern University, and is a member of the Structural Engineers of Washington, American Society of Civil Engineers, Society of American Military Engineers, and Deep Foundations Institute.
|1 Connection||2 Connections||3 Connections||4 Connections||5 Connections||> 5 Connections|
|* Registration for PART 1 on or before June 27, 2023
* Registration for PART 2 on or before July 4, 2023
Please note a single registration allows you to have one connection. However, a number of people can view and listen to the seminar using one connection by using an LCD projector (or a large computer monitor) and good computer speakers or a speaker phone.
All attendees, irrespective of the number of registered connections, can earn 0.25 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or 2.5 professional development hours (PDHs). CEU/PDH certificates are provided free of charge.
Small Business Registration
We provide discounted registration for small businesses. If you are not registered with us as a small business yet, please click below for more information.
- A connection is defined as a single web connection plus a single telephone connection (if necessary). If you want to sign up for more than one connection for this seminar, you will have the opportunity to do so after placing the seminar in your cart.
- A $15 fee will apply if the seminar registrant wishes to revise the web seminar registration (e.g. switch from one web seminar to another).
- Refunds are limited to 80 percent of fee and must be applied for in writing WITHIN THIRTY DAYS after the scheduled seminar.
- We are a registered provider for continuing education in the State of Florida (Provider # 4732), the State of New York (Provider # 99), the State of New Jersey (Provider # 24GP00014200), the State of Maryland, and for the Structural Engineers Certification Board (SECB) of the National Council of Structural Engineers Associations (NCSEA).