Frequently Misunderstood Foundation Design Provisions
by Ian McFarlane, P.E., S.E.
April 24, 2019; 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM Pacific TimeSmall Business System Requirements FAQ Register
ICC Preferred Provider Course Number: 8396
This web seminar addresses five misunderstood structural provisions in ASCE 7-10 related to foundation design. The following topics are discussed, including a presentation of frequently asked questions on the application of related code provisions:
- Load combinations for foundation design.
- Liquefaction risks and how to specifically address them.
- Basics of soil-structure interaction and how it relates to allowable bearing pressure and subgrade modulus.
- Challenges in design of mat foundations.
- Detailing of deep foundation elements for various seismic and site conditions.
Ian McFarlane, P.E., S.E. is a Principal at Magnusson Klemencic Associates (MKA), a 200-person, award-winning structural and civil engineering firm headquartered in Seattle, Washington. Ian leads MKA’s Foundations Technical Specialist Team and Concrete Specialist Team. Ian is active within the American Concrete Institute, serving as a Voting Member, ACI 318 – Foundations Subcommittee, and ACI 336 – Footings, Mats, and Drilled Piers. He was also co-author of NEHRP Seismic Design Technical Brief No. 7 – Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete Mat Foundations.
|1 Connection||2 Connections||3 Connections||4 Connections||5 Connections||> 5 Connections|
|* Registration on or before April 22, 2019|
Please note a single registration allows you to have one connection. However, a number of people can view and listen to the seminar using one connection by using an LCD projector (or a large computer monitor) and good computer speakers or a speaker phone.
All attendees, irrespective of the number of registered connections, can earn 0.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or 2.0 professional development hours (PDHs). CEU/PDH certificates are provided free of charge.
- A connection is defined as a single web connection plus a single telephone connection (if necessary). If you want to sign up for more than one connection for this seminar, you will have the opportunity to do so after placing the seminar in your cart.
- A $15 fee will apply if the seminar registrant wishes to revise the web seminar registration (e.g. switch from one web seminar to another).
- Refunds are limited to 80 percent of fee and must be applied for in writing WITHIN THIRTY DAYS after the scheduled seminar.
- We are a registered provider for continuing education in the State of Florida (Provider # 4732), the State of New York (Provider # 99), the State of New Jersey (Provider # 24GP00014200), the State of Maryland, and for the Structural Engineers Certification Board (SECB) of the National Council of Structural Engineers Associations (NCSEA).