CFS Shear Wall Design Examples and Solutions
by Don Allen, P.E.
July 30, 2020; 11:00 AM - 1:30 PM Pacific Time
ICC Preferred Provider Course Number: 10625
Receive a 15% discount on any of our products when purchased with a seminar registration.
The seminar will provide examples of cold-formed steel (CFS) shear wall design that highlight common mistakes and emphasize smart design. In addition to explaining specific detailing requirements for lateral resistance of (CFS) framed structures, examples of shear wall designs using several of the methodologies available using AISI S240 and AISI S400: North American Standard for Seismic Design of Cold-Formed Steel Structural Systems will be presented.
Specific topics will include:
- Layout of shear walls in a structure: tips for avoiding field problems
- Deflection and stiffness calculations for shear walls
- Where type I and type II shear walls make sense
- Examples with both structural wood and steel sheathing
- Boundary element design and sheathing attachment methods
- Collectors and connection design do’s and don’ts
- Appropriate use of hold-downs
- Challenging wall-floor intersection details
This web seminar will also include three question-and-answer sessions.
The views and opinions expressed in this seminar are those of the speaker(s) and do not necessarily reflect those held by S. K. Ghosh Associates LLC.
Don Allen, P.E., LEED A.P., SECB, is an internationally known expert in cold-formed steel design, and currently serves as Director of Engineering for Super Stud Building Products. He chairs the Education Committee of the American Iron and Steel Institute, is actively involved in the development of ASTM and AISI standards, and has designed projects in Europe, Africa, and North America. In addition to working for steel product manufacturers, Allen has spent more than a decade in private practice and served over nine years as technical director for the Steel Stud Manufacturers Association (SSMA), the Steel Framing Alliance (SFA), and the Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute (CFSEI).
|* Registration on or before July 28, 2020
To receive the reduced price for additional connections, please call us at 847-991-2700 or email us at email@example.com
Please note a single registration allows you to have one connection
. However, a number of people can view and listen to the seminar using one connection
by using an LCD projector (or a large computer monitor) and good computer speakers or a speaker phone.
All attendees, irrespective of the number of registered connections, can earn 0.25 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or 2.5 professional development hours (PDHs). CEU/PDH certificates are provided free of charge.
Small Business Registration
We provide discounted registration for small businesses. If you are not registered with us as a small business yet, please click below for more information.
Small Business Benefits and Eligibility
- A connection is defined as a single web connection plus a single telephone connection
(if necessary). If you want to sign up for more than one connection for this seminar, you will have the opportunity to do so after placing the seminar in your cart.
- A $15 fee will apply if the seminar registrant wishes to revise the web seminar registration (e.g. switch from one web seminar to another).
- Refunds are limited to 80 percent of fee and must be applied for in writing WITHIN THIRTY DAYS after the scheduled seminar.
- We are a registered provider for continuing education in the State of Florida (Provider # 4732), the State of New York (Provider # 99), the State of New Jersey (Provider # 24GP00014200), the State of Maryland, and for the Structural Engineers Certification Board (SECB) of the National Council of Structural Engineers Associations (NCSEA).